Saturday 12 March 2022

"Safety Trousers" with Carles Busquets

 

There are a lot of good reasons to wear trousers; comfort, fashion, the desire to avoid arrest for indecent exposure, but protecting the wearer from harm is not one you'd normally expect outside of some kind of hazardous area scenario. Nevertheless, former Barcelona FC backup goalie Carles Busquets (father of current Barca player Sergio Busquets) claimed this as the exact reason for his choice of attire when the Spanish shot stopping substitute superstar spoke straightforwardly with Mundo Deportivo back in May 1991:

"I got used to playing in training with sweatpants and in the end I decided to wear them also in the official matches because I felt safer and more secure. This way, there is less danger of my leg being injured.” 

And he adds jokingly: “I was one of the first goalkeepers to play with long pants and now many imitate me”.

 Great joke Carles, great joke... 


No comments: